Knowledge is the greatest relief for every human soul. Humans need knowledge more than anything. A soul without knowledge is literally a dark room. So, if you are planning to elevate your knowledge, going to a reputed museum will be the next best thing to do. The Kolkata museum can be a real treat to the eyes with a wide range of ancient Indian statues and paintings. Besides, there are ancient coins, masks, textiles, skeletons of animals, old tree roots, etc. Also, you will be absolutely astonished to see the 4000 years old mummy. It’s like a house of wonders and probably this is why it is called the ‘jadughar.’ It certainly can’t get any better for any lover of ancient Indian culture than going to the Kolkata museum. It gives you every reason to cherish the brilliant endeavors in the field of science and socio culture in India. There is so much one could explore in this museum. Also, it happens to be very informative for the students from in and out of India.
The Indian museum, Kolkata was founded in 1814 by the Asiatic society with the idea of preserving the rich heritage and culture of India and as a matter of fact, it is one of the oldest and finest museums in India. Going to the Indian museum, Kolkata is literally traveling back in time to visualize India’s excellent scientific and social cultural achievements of the past. With the start of the Indian museum, Kolkata it was the beginning of a huge museum movement back then and soon it was followed by more than 400 museums all over the country. Interestingly, the museum is also known as jadu ghar.
The Indian museum, Kolkata attractions
- The ‘jadughar’ museum has a shop for the sale of books which comprise Indian museum publications in the form of photographs, replicas, catalogs, bulletins, picture postcards, etc. Besides, it also comprises amazing children’s books.
- The Calcutta museum also allows visitors of photography at Rs 50 without stand and Rs 100 with stand and without extra lighting.
- The museum conducts various courses for students as well like a short course in museum studies, practical training in museum method and in service museum training course.
- The museum also conducts various cultural programs from time to time like Vasanta Utsav, an autumn festival the foundation day, etc.
- To ensure you don’t miss out any a single important thing, the museum also provides guide facility.
- Besides, now, one can become a friend of Indian museum to avail various free facilities as special lectures, cultural programs, workshops, training courses, special discount on the entry fee, museum products, free e-newsletter, information about multicultural activities like exhibitions and seminars.
Important Information About the Indian Museum, Kolkata
Indian museum Kolkata Timings:- 10:00 AM. to 5:00 PM [March to November], 10.00 AM. to 4:30 PM [December to January]
Closed on: – Every Monday and National holidays.
Entry fee: – Rs. 20/- Indian & Rs. 500/-Foreigner
Location:- 27, Jawaharlal Nehru Rd, Park Street area, Kolkata, West Bengal-700016